Thursday, September 09, 2010

First day of school

Okay, let me try to sum up yesterday...


I park at the school (well, half a block from school) and walk in with Will & Nina; AJ was home with DH. Will was totally excited & got into his class just fine & left me with just a hug. Nina & I head off to her class b/c she had "orientation" at 10 and school started at 9:30. So we hang out there. Then her teacher talked for about 30 min while the kids colored (and Nina squirmed and complained of being hungry), then did a craft and the parents detailed who went home on the bus & who got picked up & picked snack days, yada yada yada...  We got home at 11:30
 
DH comes home from errands & AJ is already asleep - yay!  Nina & I just hang out & putter around the house, I really don't know what to do with myself.  I edit pictures for a while and resist the temptation to drive to school just to check on Will.  AJ wakes up at 3, just in time to get ready to go again.
 
They do a drop off/pick up line for cars.  So I'm "parked" about a block away in line, then when the kids come out & stand with the attendants/teachers, 4 cars drive up to the area, pick up their kid & then drive out of the loop.  We had to wait about 15 minutes in line.  I was so nervous Will would somehow end up on the bus!  I was glad David stayed home just in case.  I got Will at the school just fine & he wasn't ready to talk about his day.  He just said "some rough, some fun".  David got him to talk a little later.
 
About 15 min after we got home I got a call from the teacher.  She said overall his day went great!  He was polite, raised his hand, worked hard and it wasn't obvious that he wasn't from a traditional school environment.  We had prepared him well and he was getting it.  She was glad we had prepared her for what sensory things are hard for him.  When the class was getting loud & chaotic, he was getting agitated so she dimmed the lights and he calmed down.  He loved eating snack at his desk.  He had a hard time in PE because no one would pass him the ball and he had to be removed to talk with the school social worker.  He really connected with her (Miss S.) and felt safe with her.  He told us about that too.  He calmed down & returned to class just fine.  Miss M. (Will's teacher) hadn't had a chance to tell the PE teacher about Will's needs & talents so she thinks that will help.
 
Will did fine at lunch & recess!  He came home very tired & irritable though.  He was determined to ride the bus & tried to run off.  Both the teacher & social worker are ready to help us in any way we need, right now he just needs to accept that he is not riding the bus!!  Miss S. had also called us earlier (made my heart skip!) just to introduce herself and let us know she was available. 
 
So everyone is ready & willing to do anything that will help him succeed and make this work for us. 
 
I was emotionally exhausted by 5 pm!  I had not cried all day and just before dinner I just needed to let it out...  It's so hard to let him go, to let him go through experiences that may be painful but are so necessary to his growth. 

No comments:

Tickers