Monday, July 25, 2005

Little Boys

Mamas of little boys never forget certain moments. The first time they kicked in utero and gave us a sense of their personality. The first time they had hiccups and it hurt every bone and organ in our bodies. The moment of their birth, with the warm little body finally making its entrance. The first time they sit or crawl or roll over, each one uniquely spectacular. And then the big one comes: they walk. A few halting steps, a few bumps, a few sudden sits, a few smiles, a few tears, and then they walk. It's just a matter of time (days, probably) until they learn to walk faster. And then life changes. Most of the big physical milestones are met and mamas now belong to an elite and demanding physical trainer who is less then 3 feet tall. Chasing, chasing, chasing. Discipline, hugs, maybe a cold or the flu will slow him down? Maybe. They are so independent but still want their mama. A hug for the owie, help finding that certain car, making a snack for that ever hungry little man. And soon they talk. I hear that most boys (like mine) choose really important first words: truck, rock, car, Dada. Mama is always there so she doesn't need a word, does she? But he comes to me to snuggle, to warm up, to cry, to complain. Recently he started calling Mama? when I was leaving his bedroom - a plea to turn around to stay. I can't help but look. Does he need me or is he delaying bedtime? Have to check. Soon he will understand emotions. I'm looking forward to the first time he says "I love you." He will probably say it to something or someone else first, but when it's my turn it will make my whole day brighter.

No comments:

Tickers