Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Spicy Chicken Gumbo

Tried it again recently, see notes at bottom...
From More-With-Less Cookbook by Doris Janzen Longacre

Serves: 8
Plan 1 hour for cooking, maybe more for prep

Saute' in large, heavy kettle:
1/4 c. oil
2 onions, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 green pepper, diced

Blend in: 2 T. flour
Cook and stir over low heat until vegetables are tender.

Add:
2 1/2 c. cooked tomatoes
2 c. cooked okra (optional!)
2/3 c. tomato paste
3 c. broth or stock
1 1/2 T. salt
1/4 t. pepper
1 1/2 T. Worcestershire sauce
1/8 t. ground cloves
1/2 t. chili powder
pinch dried basil
1 whole bay leaf

Simmer 1 hour. Start cooking rice.

1/3 c. fresh parsley, chop & set aside

Add to gumbo:
2-3 c. cooked chicken, diced

Simmer briefly. To serve, combine hot cooked rice with chopped parsley and mound rice in center of soup bowls using ice-cream scoop. Pour hot gumbo all around.

My notes:
So after trying this again after a couple years it turned out really good. Good enough that David said we could have this all the time - and that's quite a complement! I used 2 huge chicken breasts and cooked them in the morning, cut up & put in the fridge. I was trying for a half recipe but made enough chicken for a whole.
Used one diced tomato instead of cooked tomatoes, 1 can of tom. paste (was too much), 1 can of chicken broth and had to add water later. Did NOT have ground cloves or fresh parsley or whole bay leaf. Chopped dry bay leaf seemed to be ok. Oh yeah, and I didn't measure most of the seasonings beside Worc. sauce. :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks. I have this cookbook but it is still packed(never enough book cases) since I moved. On this chilly and rainy day this soup is just what I wanted. I was so glad to see the exact recipe I wanted. I add file to it to thicken. Blessings,Angela

Tickers